Another easy and fun way to make candles is to make sand candles. You uses wet sand to make the mold. You can even decorate the candles with small shells or rocks. Once the wax is cooled you can either brush the sand off or leave it there as a decoration.
This Instructable gives great instructions for making candles using a shell as the mold.
Candles are fun to make but can take a lot of wax. This is a method of making really neat looking candles that doesn’t take as much wax.
- wax paper cups
- pencil or Popsicle stick
- crushed ice
- paraffin wax
- wax dye or old crayons (optional)
- Secure one end of the wick to the inside bottom of the wax cup with a little bit of tape. (if you have wicks with metal bottoms this may not be necessary)
- Tie or tape the other end of the wick to the pencil or Popsicle stick so it doesn’t fall into the cup.
- Melt the wax in a double boiler and colour as desired
- Fill the cup with ice. Ideally you want the chunks of ice to be between 1/2 cm and 1 cm in size.
- Pour wax into the cup until the ice is submerged
- Wait for the wax to cool and the ice to melt, then carefully remove the stick and cup. You will end up with a candle that had large holes in it kind of like Swiss cheese.
Warning: Always burn these candles on a large fireproof surface as they may collapse in unpredictable (but interesting) ways as they burn. Do not leave burning candles unsupervised.
The My Heritage Challenge from Saskatchewan is quite long and involved but could easily be done over several meetings and would cover A LOT of program along the way. It is divided into 5 sections (You and Your Family, Your Culture, Your Community, Saskatchewan* and Canada) and girls must complete challenges in each section to complete the challenge.
The complete challenge PDF can be found here.
* The challenges in the Saskatchewan section are pretty broad so if you were thinking about doing the challenge in another province you could consider substituting your own province (or taking the opportunity to learn more about Saskatchewan).