Last week I posted about a Date with a Book as an alternative to a Secret Santa exchange. Here are some other ideas from the same Facebook thread:
- If allergies are not a problem then a traditional cookie exchange can be fun. Have each girl bring in a couple dozen cookies and then they get to make up a plate with some of what everyone brought in so they can take home an assortment.
- Sock exchange: Everyone buys one pair of socks to exchange with another girl. This can be turned into a small service project but asking girls to bring in a second pair of adult socks for a homeless program.
- Crafts: You can make a holiday craft but tell the girls in advance they are making their craft for their secret friend.
- Holiday cards: Again these can be made in the meeting
- Poems: Have each girl write a short poem with positive statements about her secret friend.
- Book Exchange: I imagine this would run similar to the ones from Words in Action. Have each girl bring in two books they are finished with. They pick out one they haven’t read to take home and the rest are donated.
- Stuff Exchange: similar to the book exchange but for DVDs, toys etc.