I do not have fond memories of tin foil dinners from when I was a girl. When we made them when I was a Guide the chicken was either so raw I’m surprised we didn’t all come down with food poisoning or the whole meal was so burnt that everything tasted like tin foil. I recently returned to the idea of foil dinners but now I use pre-cooked protein for much better results.
- pre-cooked protein such as chicken breast, sausage or vegetarian patty
- white and/or sweet potatoes
- vegetables such as corn, carrots, zucchini, onions, celery etc.
- butter or vegetable oil
- heavy duty tin foil
- Clean and chop the potatoes and vegetables. You want to make sure all the pieces are a pretty consistent size and not too thick or large.
- Mean while, build a fire and form a bed of hot coals
- Give each girl a piece of foil and let her build her own dinner. This way everyone ends up with what they like.
- Wrap the dinner like a package with the shinny side of the foil on the inside.
- Wrap in a second layer of foil to ensure all the good stuff stays inside the package
- Lay on coals to cook, turning occasionally.
- Cook for approximately 20 min, open and enjoy