- length of nylon stockings
- grass seeds
- top soil
- floss or thread
- misc craft supplies (optional)
- Cut your nylon stocking into pieces. We found we could get six piece from each pair of stockings, three from each leg.
- If you don’t have the toe, tie one end with floss or thread and turn the stocking inside out. If you have a toe you can skip this step.
- Place one tablespoon of grass seed in the stocking.
- Fill the stocking with a cup or so of soil.
- Tie the bottom of the stocking with more floss or thread.
- Pull out one clump of dirt and wrap floss around it to form a nose.
- Use white or hot glue to attach the eyes.
- You can add felt, pipe cleaners etc to create eye brows, bow ties, etc but don’t cover the top of the head.
- Place in a cup and keep damp. The grass hair will grow in about a week.
You might want to warn the girls to keep their grass heads away from pets as in our unit we had at least one grass head given a hair cut by the family cat.