The Grand Prairie Literacy challenge was developed by the Grand Prairie Area in Manitoba. It is quite an extensive challenge that would take many weeks to complete.
It is divide into 6 sections:
- Just Read – challenges girls to read a set number of books based on their branch
- World of Reading – Encourages girls to explore different types of reading
- Celebrate Reading – Have fun with stories and
- Awareness – learn about illiteracy and the importance of reading
- Service Project – A list of book related service projects
- Adult Challenges – encourage Guiders to form book clubs with their Guiding friends.
There is a large appendix of additional material to help you run the challenge including an instant meeting based around “The Lorax” by Dr. Seuss and hand outs for reading logs, book reports etc.
Crests are available directly from Grand Prairie Area headquarters.
The themes in this challenge pair very nicely with Words in Action National Service Project.